Marble Paper Valentines Quick DIY


I’ve always been drawn to the look of marbling and was so excited the first time I tried this easy method for marbling paper and got a great result. Some descriptions for marbling paper make the process look intimidating and complicated—often involving oil, special paint, and tools. This technique, however, requires only a few things that you probably already have on hand: shaving cream, food coloring, and a baking dish. Zero skill is needed. In fact, I’ve even done it with first graders! It is such a fun and striking way to create colorful homemade Valentines. Be careful though, it’s addicting! ...catch this guest post and easy tutorial I did over at Four Hats Press.

DIY // easy marbled terracotta planter

ProgressPot sharpies


marbledPotskullCactus On Wednesday my friend Jane came over to hang out and craft. We looked at a bunch of random DIY things, but in the end she made some neon tassels and I used paint pens to create a marble design on a terracotta planter. :) I've been meaning to repot a handful of plants that I had and terracotta planters are so cheap. I was inspired by this picture on instagram! It was so easy and I love the final result. The only supplies you need are Sharpie paint pens and a terracotta planter! :) Happy Friday!


Easy DIY Banner


This is a project I did way back in November and it was pretty painless and quick! I love the way it turned out. I made it for our anniversary because our little saying is "Go Team!" I was inspired by the lovely IT'S OK pendant (pictured below via.Wit & Delight) that has been circulating around the web for a while. The one by Secret Holiday is $68 and this one cost $25! I hung my pendant up with a lame twig because I finished making it at night and there was snow on the ground and I couldn't find a decent stick! :) I did buy a rod from Hobby Lobby, but I would've had to take out the saw to cut it, (which did not happened) so it's still on the twig.

Supplies: I got all the supplies from Hobby Lobby. Steps: 1. I cut a template from extra chip board I had lying around and traced the banner onto the canvas. Then I cut it out using an exacto knife. 2. I used paper stickers as stencils, carefully tracing around them using a Stained Sharpie fabric pen. This took the longest amount of time as I was going really slow, so I wouldn't mess up! *I spent about 45 minutes at Hobby Lobby looking for iron-on-letters, then I thought of cutting the letters out of black felt, but I am SO glad I decided to trace and color the letters (way cheaper and much less work than tracing and cutting felt)! 3. After I traced the letters, I colored them in using the same Stained Sharpie fabric pen. Then I simply sewed around the whole banner (about an inch from the edge) to keep it from fraying. I folded the top over and sewed across the top so I could hang it up. Pretty simple!

>>>> I updated my ABOUT page recently! Check it out HERE! <<<<

Screen shot 2014-02-17 at 7.25.36 PM

Gold Legs

Along with the vintage dresser makeover, I also did a little ikea hack this summer. For those who don't know what an ikea hack is (my husband) it's just a modification or repurposing of an ikea product. There are so many amazing ikea hacks, but this one with its gold legs and its simple design caught my eye. The fact that it was $40 bucks total and only involved a can of spray paint didn't hurt either! I would've bought the long table, but this little guy fits the space perfectly. All I did was put the legs together, paint them gold and BAM, done! :) I love to do projects and missed having a little space of my own to hold some of my favorite little things, to write letters, type, study, mostly just to decorate. :) I hung up the tassel garland I made for my mom's picnic birthday party along with some of my other favorite things. I like leaning the pictures instead of hanging them, so I can swap them out easily. I'm sure I'll continually change the space, but for now I like it!  :)


Stripping and Staining a Vintage Dresser

This summer I decided that I was going to do something about my husband's ugly dresser. It's a beautiful piece, very well made (from his Grandma), but it had these old brown/green flowers on the front and the white paint was looking pretty bad (really, really, bad). My initial thoughts were to copy this dresser and paint it black. During the process, I came to grips with that fact that Grant really isn't a black with gold accents kind of guy and the wood underneath looked really promising! So, I traded in my gold hardware knobs for some dark wood stain. In the end I'm glad I didn't paint it. I like the natural look. Here is the before/after! I'm so pleased with how it turned out! Definitely worth the time & effort!

BEFORE-AFTER I forgot to take real "before" pictures, so these were after I had already poured the paint stripper on. Oh well! You can clearly see something had to change. It was so ugly! The paint stripper was extremely strong. It wasn't very hard to strip, except for the grooved pieces on the drawers. Shocking how it all peels off!


After I stripped all the paint off it sat around in the garage for a few weeks. Grant finally decided to jump in and get the process going. He sanded the whole thing. (He's the best.) Later I added 2 coats of a dark walnut wood stain and finished it off with a glossy type finish/sealer. Here's how it looks now! So handsome!! :)


Overall, this was a fairly easy project. Grant might have a different opinion as he did a lot of the grunt work sanding. :) It did take me 2 months to finish it (ha!) but that was only because I had it in the garage and continued to forget/put off sanding and staining it. In total the project was about $70, which is a lot less than a new dresser! Score.